Christ Church Cathedral WaterfordAccording to tradition, the Cromwell's army entered the city of Waterford in 1650, and laid their hands on whatever booty they could find.  Booty was hidden in the crypt of the Cathedral and it included "a censer, several candlesticks and bells".  Whether any of the bells referred to belonged to the Cathedral is not known, but it is the first mention of bells in connection with the Cathedral.

In the year 1668, however, bell-founders came from Bristol to set up a ring of bells in Waterford.  The founders were William and Roger Purdue and William and Tobias Covey.  It is believed that there were six bells cast, judging by the inscription on the recast Tenor bell of 1727 vintage.

The Kipling bells were taken down in 1872 and were recast with added metal, to provide a ring of eight bells.  The Founders were Mears and Stainbank of London.

The bells hang in the square tower at the west end of the Cathedral, and there is a spire which makes the building a landmark in the city.

On these bells, the first peal of 5040 changes of Grandsire Triples ever rung in Ireland was scored by a team of ringers from London, all members of the Ancient Society of College Youths and this happened on July 27, 1872.

Practice: Sunday morning 11:00 except July and August
Service ring:  Sunday 09:30

Tower Contact:

Tower Sec Cathedral of Blessed Trinity Waterford, 
Richard De Courcey – No Contact Details