greyabbeyThe bells of Greyabbey church are heavily associated with the Montgomery family. The original Greyabbey bell was one of several bells given to local churches by Viscount Montgomery in the early 17th Century. Unfortunately the Greyabbey bell, (now known as “Old Gomery”) is the only one of these bells that still survives.

In 1871 Francis Montgomery, a descendent of the Viscount, gave three new bell to the church. Although these were hung for full circle ringing they were in fact chimed. The most likely reason for this is that there was nobody in the area who would have known how to ring them full circle!

For many years the bells of Greyabbey were classified as unringable (see Fred Duke’s book “Campanology in Ireland”). Recently however, (Feb 2002) the Montgomery family and the Northern District of the IACR had the existing three bells refurbished and three new bells installed.

Sunday Service Ring: 09.30 - 10.00

Practice Night: Please contact the Tower Secretary

Tower Contact: Rosemary Davison
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
028-427-88386

 


Below are the weights of St Saviour Bells Greyabbey

 
Note
Weight
Dimension
Cast
Founders
Treble
C
1cwt, 1qr, 16lbs
18”
2001
Taylor
2
B Flat
1cwt, 2qr, 8lbs
19”
2001
Taylor
3
A
1cwt, 2qr, 16lbs
20”
2001
Taylor
4
G
1cwt, 2qr, 20lbs
21”
1871
Warner & Sons
5
F
2cwt, 0qr, 8lbs
22¾”
1871
Warner & Sons
Tenor
E Flat
2cwt, 3qr, 12lbs
25¼”
1871
Warner & Sons
Service
 
 
2cwt, 0qr, 6lbs
21”
1714
Tobias Covey

 


Below are the inscriptions of St Savious Bells Greyabbey

Treble
Lottery Funded
2
Montgomery Family
3
IACR (Northern District)
4
FOM 1 May 1871
5
FOM 1 May 1871
Tenor
Francis Octavius Montgomery 1 May 1871
Service
SOLI:DEO:DETVR:GLORIA:RECAST:1741