St Philip and St James Holywood

The present church of St Philip and St James in Holywood, Co.Down, was consecrated in 1844 during the incumbency of the Rev Joseph McCormick.  It was through his exertions that a “ring of sweet bells” was erected in the tower - which has a spire over the rear entrance porch, and stands at the north-west corner of the nave.

The first bells came from Wells Foundry in Aldbourne, Wiltshire, and were cast in 1798.  The details can be found in the Details of Bells section.  These six bells came from a ring of 10 which the bell ringing architect, Francis Johnston had hung over the stable garden of his residence in Eccles Street, Dublin.  These bells hung in the tower after his death in 1829 until 1844  and were sold off before the auction of contents in his residence following the death of his late wife Anne Johnston.   According to a note in the Johnston Manuscripts in the National Library, Dublin, these bells were sold by the Rev. Richard Johnston for the sum of £180.

The six bells were taken down in 1891, and the back five, together with a 15” bell from the parish room, were sent to Taylor's of Loughborough to be melted down towards the casting of the new ring of eight bells.  The Treble bell of the six was sent to Ballyclare Church, Co. Antrim, where it still remains today.

Practice Night: Monday 18.00 - 19.00 please check beforehand with Tower Secretary.

Service Ring: 11.00 - 11.30

Tower Contact:  Hilary Boyd
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
02890424422,

Links:

Brief Details of Parish Parish Website  

 


Below are the weights of SS Philip and James Bells Holywood

Original Six Bells

 
Weight
Dimension
Cast
Founders
Treble
 
21”
1798
Wells Foundry in Aldbourne,Wiltshire
2
2cwts, 1qrs, 4lbs
23”
1798
Wells Foundry in Aldbourne,Wiltshire
3
2cwts, 3qrs, 21lbs
23½”
1798
Wells Foundry in Aldbourne,Wiltshire
4
3cwts, 2qrs, 11lbs
25¼”
1798
Wells Foundry in Aldbourne,Wiltshire
5
3cwts, 3qrs, 27lbs
27½”
1798
Wells Foundry in Aldbourne,Wiltshire
Tenor
4cwts, 2qrs, 12lbs
29¾”
1798
Wells Foundry in Aldbourne,Wiltshire

Present day ring of Eight


Weight
Dimension
Cast
Founders
Treble
3cwts
23”
1891
Taylor’s of Loughborough
2
3cwts, 0qrs, 24lbs
24⅛”
1891
Taylor’s of Loughborough
3
3cwts, 3qrs, 24lbs
26¼”
1891
Taylor’s of Loughborough
4
4cwts, 1qrs, 20lbs
27⅞”
1891
Taylor’s of Loughborough
5
5cwts, 3qrs, 25lbs
31”
1891
Taylor’s of Loughborough
6
6cwts, 3qrs, 21lbs
32⅜”
1891
Taylor’s of Loughborough
7
8cwts, 3qrs, 12lbs
35¾”
1891
Taylor’s of Loughborough
Tenor
12cwts, 0qrs, 14lbs
40½”
1891
Taylor’s of Loughborough

 


Below are the inscriptions of SS Philip and James Bells Holywood

Original Six Bells

Treble
R & J Wells Albourn Fecit 1798
2
R & J Wells Albourn Fecit 1798
3
R & J Wells Albourn Fecit 1798
4
R & J Wells Albourn Fecit 1798
5
R & J Wells Albourn Fecit 1798
Tenor
R & J Wells Albourn Fecit 1798

Present day ring of Eight

 

Treble
J Taylor & Co Bellfounders Loughborough MDCCCXCI
2
J Taylor & Co Bellfounders Loughborough MDCCCXCI
3
J Taylor & Co Bellfounders Loughborough MDCCCXCI
4
J Taylor & Co Bellfounders Loughborough MDCCCXCI
5
J Taylor & Co Bellfounders Loughborough MDCCCXCI
6
J Taylor & Co Bellfounders Loughborough MDCCCXCI
7
J Taylor & Co Bellfounders Loughborough MDCCCXCI
Tenor
J Taylor & Co Bellfounders Loughborough MDCCCXCI
 
Holywood Parish Church
Erected by Subscription
A.D.1891.
Rev J B Crozier Vicar