Built between 1862 and 1895, the church of SS Augustine and John has been described as "A poem in stone". This fine French-Gothic church has a tower that is 231 feet tall that looks over the Liberties area of Dublin. However, this tower was never designed to hold any bells, and there was never any reason to provide access to what is now the ringing chamber. As a result an open spiral staircase had to be added later to fill this need.
The original eight bells were donated to the church by Stanislaus Byre of Booterstown 1872. Then, to celebrate the 25 years of ringing in the tower, Dr William Walsh O.S.A. (Prior) augmented the ring to the present 10 bells. This was achieved by adding two new Trebles. This new configuration was rung for the first time on Christmas Eve of that 1898.
Since this augmentation many ringers have given a lot of time to the ringing of these bells, and it is gratifying to note that this service has been acknowledged. Dan Kennedy received the "Pro Ecclesia et Pontifica" award from Pope Pius XII, while Paddy Mills and Jimmy Reynolds both received the "Bene Merenti" award from Pope John Paul II.
The ringers in John's Lane and other neighbouring towers also formed the first group of Irish ringers to visit Italy which was in August 2000!
Service Ring: 11.45 - 12.10 (2nd Sunday only) Practice Night: none a present
Tower Contact: June Kelly