Originally founded in 1190 St Audoen's church is not only the only medieval parish church still remaining in Dublin, but also one of the oldest buildings in Ireland. With this in mind it is perhaps fitting that St Audoen's also contains the oldest ringing bells in Ireland, with three of its six bells dating back from 1423. There is no indication as to who cast the bells or how they came to be in St Audoen's, but it is pleasing to note that they are in excellent condition. They still have their original canons and inscriptions.
For reasons unknown ringing ceased between 1898 and 1983, when the bells and steeple were put in good order. Three of the bells were in poor condition and had to be recast, but the three ancient bells were rehung on canon-retaining stocks. They were rung for the first time in almost a century on 16 August 1983. This was followed the next day by a quarter peal of Plain Bob Doubles.
Immediately next to the church stands another church which is also called St Audoen's. Built in 1846 this church does not have a set of ringing bells.
Service Ring: 9.30 - 10.00
Tower Contact: Rev Canon Mark Gardner
+ 353 01 or 01 4542274