One of the first things visitors of Wexford notice at they approach are the towers of the twin churches, in Bride Street and Rowe Street, however only the latter has bells.
This was achieved through the generosity of Canon Roche, the founder of the churches, and William Healy. The order was placed with the Murphy Bell Foundry with the hope that they would be ringing for Christmas 1882. Sadly the bells were delayed until the following year, which was due to the deaths of both Canon Roche in 1883 and Mr Murphy himself in 1879.
The first recorded visitor to the tower was Gabriel Lindoff, who spent some weeks teaching a local band to ring.
In 1930 the Administrator of the Parish, Rev. John Sinnott, had the original nine bells recast, and augmented the ring with an additional two bells. These are the present Treble and a flattened Fourth. Shortly after this time Gabriel Lindoff brought a band of ringers from his home tower of St Patrick's Cathedral to ring a Quarter peal of 1331 Grandsire Caters he had composed specifically for the occasion.
The bells were hung in such a way that they can also be used for chime ringing. This was used to great effect on 20th September 1984 when they played "Auld Lang Syne" and "Home Sweet Home" for the Ordination of Bishop Brendan Cromiskey.
Service Ring: 10.50 - 11.05
Tower Contact: Joe Kinsella